When Yoga Makes Alcohol Go Bye Bye

2 Jun

I have always wanted to join a yoga studio, but memberships at studios are out of my budget. A studio close to my apartment charges $130 per month for an unlimited classes membership with a 3-month commitment or $165 for a month of unlimited classes. Fortunately, they have a 3-week $39 introductory rate for new students.

With the school year coming to an end and my after school work commitments being over I decided to sign up and get the most out of my 3-week membership — in part the reason I have been a little off the radar this month.

I began my journey with a “Vinyasa Foundations” class and a couple of days later took a “Hot Yoga” class.  Of the two I really enjoyed “Hot Yoga” and committed to it for the remaining 3 weeks. My body’s response to practicing in a 90+ degrees heated room has been unexpected and I want to share it.

I want to focus on how practicing yoga has positively affected what I put (or don’t) in my body:

1) Wanting raw food

I immediately began to crave rawness. As a vegan, I have always taken a lot of pleasure in eating vegetables and fruits, but my body’s desire for a mango or a bowl of spinach was overpowering.

2) Rejecting coffee

Most recently, I have been unable to drink coffee. Last Sunday, I had coffee in the morning and a bitter, odd taste overwhelmed the taste of the coffee. I drank a little more thinking I was imagining things and a couple of hours later was completely sick. I gave coffee another chance on Friday. This time I had iced coffee (different blend, different business) and the bitter taste was still there. I took 5 sips and dumped it.

3) Reducing alcohol consumption

A few yoga classes later I lost interest in alcohol. Thoughts of going out and hanging out with friends come to mind along with the “pleasant” thoughts of having a nice cool margarita on a hot day, but once the opportunity to drink alcohol comes — I do not want it. I could drink it if I want to, but don’t care for it.

It’s hard to unquestionably attribute my intolerance to coffee, disinterest in alcohol, and cravings for raw foods to my limited experiences with yoga, but I’d like to think it’s related.

Sadly, my 3 week membership expires today, but my amazing neighborhood has a yoga studio that offers $5 classes. I plan on checking it out this week.

About these ads

6 Responses to “When Yoga Makes Alcohol Go Bye Bye”

1. Ally June 2, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Hi! I’ve missed your posts. :)
    But, I am happy to read the reason you have been off the radar. It sounds as though yoga is having a very positive effect on your life.
    I haven’t attended a yoga class in years. I miss it.
    I’m glad you are going to check out the other class.
    How long do you have before the new school year commences? Our school years run with the calendar year here- so the school year ends just before Christmas, and the new school year then commences in late January.
    It is good to see you. :)

2. liminghai June 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

Karla, yoga is incredible. This is quite personal but very appropriate: before I left NYC I was doing yoga nearly once a week in a class and by myself another 2x a week. On one occasion I began to cry and it was such a wonderful feeling. I released so much and I began to see things clearer. I’m happy that raw diet and yoga is opening more doors for you. Una preguntita, mango is not a raw food??

3. Thomas June 8, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

Hey hope you are reading this reply doing the “Bird of Paradise Pose” if you are then you are good…I struggled and kept on falling over then again maybe it is something to do with the glass of red wine I was drinking :) Good to hear you are well and getting into the raw vegan food……and enjoying your yoga.. hey I bought that great vegan cookbook “Viva Vegan !!” really good food. Thanks for that.. Enjoy your summer too :)

4. genkikitty July 17, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Such a good message for many to read right now seeing as it is Summer in 1/2 of the world which means drinking copious amounts in the sunshine. There’s always online courses too if you need something before you find the right classes for you.

• Xiomara July 20, 2013 at 8:47 pm #

Thank you for commenting. I have been thinking a lot about your comment these past couple of days. You are so right: summer=drinking. It’s a great feeling to do something that’s the complete opposite of toxic to one’s body. I have been just learned about online classes–sadly I don’t have too much space right now (or privacy) to do that. Soon I hope to take online classes though!

5. ヴィトン 財布 ダミエ November 23, 2013 at 1:16 am #